The Briefly for January 23, 2019 – The “Cuomo Humiliates the MTA into Submission… Again” Edition

A car-less subway train design is coming, NY codifies abortion rights, the Queens DA election becomes competitive, the latest in subway perverts, and more in today’s daily NYC news digest.

Zoinks - Artist Unknown

The subways will have a newly designed train in 2020 with new colors and an open gangway design so you can walk from the head of the train to the back. When there are no cars, every car is the fart car. (amNY)

Governor Cuomo’s campaign to humiliate the MTA is working. This time, he’s told the agency that he wants to see alternatives to a fare increase that would come in March. (NY Times)

The latest in subway perverts. (Daily News)

The Bryant Park fountain is frozen, welcome to real winter hours. (Time Out)

Queens will have its first competitive race for District Attorney in almost thirty years with the retirement of Richard Brown. (The Independent)

Governor Cuomo signed the Reproductive Health Act, codifying and expanding abortion rights like dropping most restrictions on abortions after 24 weeks, allowing midwives and nurse practitioners to perform abortions and ending criminal charges for harming children in the womb. (Politico)

The 10 healthiest neighborhoods in the city. (StreetEasy)

Does AOC give ‘zero fucks?’ “I actually didn’t say this, so while I know ‘brown women cursing’ drives clicks, maybe you accurately quote the whole exchange instead of manipulating people into thinking I said this sentence instead of just the word ‘zero.'” -Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC)

Three people have dropped out of the Public Advocate’s race due to technicalities, which leaves us with a pool of twenty candidates. (Bklyner)

Manhattan is getting two new food halls in the Financial District and Midtown West. (Eater)

The ACLU and NYCLU is suing the NYPD over the mistreatment of Linda Dominguez, a transgender woman, who they say was purposefully misgendered and mocked. The NYPD arrested her in non-standard pink handcuffs and left them on her overnight. (Advocate)

20 restaurants for a casual dinner with your parents. (The Infatuation)

The MTA and Amtrak have reached an agreement to add four newly proposed stations in the Bronx for Hunts Point, Parkchester, Morris Park and Co-op City. The stations would connect to Penn Station along the “Hell Gate Line.” (Welcome2TheBronx)

Four districts in Sunset Park are getting landmark consideration from the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Landmark status protects historic sites and buildings from being demolished or altered in a way that fundamentally changes their character. (6sqft)

A time-lapse showing the heartbeat of the city. (Myles Zhang)

The history, near destruction, and salvation of the cast-iron clock that stands over Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint. (Greenpointers)

There are 370 participating restaurants in NYC Restaurant week, but only 11 have the distinction of earning a Michelin star. (Viewing NYC)

Two subway cars collided on the Williamsburg Bridge that killed one and injured fifty. It was the fourth collision in less than two years. This was the collision in June of 1995 that was the catalyst for the MTA to lower the speeds of subway trains until recently. (NY Times)

The Administration for Children’s Services is giving out free wearable baby blankets to help families keep infants warm and safe this winter. (amNY)

Coney Island is petitioning for a Trader Joe’s. Will Joe listen? After the L train shutdown was called off, anything is possible in 2019. (Brooklyn Daily Eagle)

Skittles Commercial: The Musical” is a real thing at Town Hall written by Brian Eno and starring Michael C. Hall for a live Super Bowl musical commercial. Tickets (yes there are tickets) are $200 and the money raised is going towards Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. (Gothamist)

For $15 you can name a roach after your ex, or maybe a sweetheart who loves roaches, in time for Valentine’s Day at the Bronx Zoo. (Viewing NYC)

The mayor only signed 20% of the laws passed by city council. The remaining 80% became law when de Blasio didn’t sign or veto them within 30 days. His office claims that his schedule prevented him from signing the bills and we should not conflate his lack of time to sign a piece of paper with his lack of caring about doing his job. (amNY)

Could you live in a 200 square foot apartment? Take a tour of what has to be one of the city’s smallest homes. (Apartment Therapy)

Get your photo featured or suggest stories for The Briefly by responding to this email or tagging your NYC photos and news on Instagram or Twitter with #thebriefly.