The Briefly for March 14, 2019 – The “Don’t Quit Your Day Job, Mr. Mayor” Edition

Stop and frisk is down but not any less worrisome, the best pies for pi day, a 40 year old murder mystery buried in a Queens backyard, and more in today’s daily NYC news digest.

Stop and frisks are reportedly down 98%. Turns out the remaining 2% are just as problematic as they used to be with only 11% of people stopped being white. (amNY)

From 2001’s plan for the 2012 Olympics to this Friday’s opening, a timeline on the major moments for the Hudson Yards. (Curbed)

In honor of pi day – the best pies in the city. (Grubstreet)

Mayor de Blasio’s budget for 2020 looks like a series of austerity measures for the city. (The Independent)

Forget it Jake, it’s Raccoon Town. (NY Post)

Plenty of New Yorkers give the finger when they’re upset, but taking a finger? That bites. (Gothamist)

Even though no one wants him to run and he’s polling at a literal zero, Mayor de Blasio said he won’t quit his day job if he decides to run for president. (NY Post)

A BQE replacement alternative idea from City Comptroller Scott Stringer: A temporary “trucks only” highway with a park on top. (Gothamist)

After 35 years, Park Slope’s Old Carriage Inn’s last day is St. Patrick’s Day. (Bklyner)

Wolverine is returning to Broadway. (amNY)

There’s an ongoing shortage of blood, and before you begin your partying on Sunday, there’s a blood drive at Our Lady of Mt Carmel Church. (Greenpointers)

No one’s sure how this baby goat ended up on the Gowanus Expressway, but it was safely captured. (Gothamist)

Photos from in and around the Hudson Yard’s ‘Vessel’ sculpture. (Patch)

The best restaurants in Crown Heights. (Grubstreet)

Moishe’s and closing is the Ross and Rachel of 2019. Turns out it’s not closing, despite what Moishe Perl told reporters. It should be open in six to eight weeks after renovations. (Eater)

An interview with Dan Smith, who WILL teach you guitar. (Gothamist)

New York City’s elite were caught up in “Operation Varsity Blues,” they just weren’t Aunt Rebecca on Roseanne. (Gothamist)

Coney Island’s Shore Theater will become a hotel thanks to a thumbs up from the Landmarks Preservation Commission. There’s no timeline yet, but it’ll be good to see that scaffolding come down one day. (Curbed)

It’s the Bronx” is aiming to be the “SXSW of the Bronx.” (6sqft)

Do you deserve your seat on the subway more than someone else? (Gothamist)

You know that body cam recording of an NYPD cop giving her boss a hummer? Yeah, it was a fake. (NY Post)

More Anti-Semitic graffiti, this time in the Nassau Avenue stop on the G train on an ad for a book about the Notorious RBG. (Greenpointers)

The Chrysler… hotel? (Gothamist)

It’s all under a cloak of mystery, but four members of the City Council are under investigation for possible misconduct. (Patch)

Isabella Goodwin: From police matron to the city’s first female police detective. (NY Times)

A farm grows in Brownsville. (The Brooklyn Reader)

How Manhattan’s streets and avenues are numbered. Yes, it’s more than just “Manhattan’s a grid.” (StreetEasy)

The City Council is looking to make the city’s lead inspection regulations the toughest in the nation with a set of 10 new bills. (Patch)

Just a list of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s humanizing moments. (amNY)

The NYPD is investigating a 40-year-old mystery after a body was dug up in a backyard in Queens. (NY Times)

Where to go with someone who’s “just reaching out” to see how you like working at your company. (The Infatuation)

Get your photo featured or suggest stories for The Briefly by responding to this email or tagging your NYC photos and news on Instagram or Twitter with #thebriefly.